Friday, June 20, 2008

OH! To be a football player!!

Hi!! This is my first ever Blog entry. I never thought I would of all people start writing blogs, but here i am writing my first one.
For the past 4 years, I have this interest and passion to play football. The last I played football when I was in the 11th std i.e, almost 5 years back.That too I was just a backup defender even in ordinary matches during games period.At that time, I was not that keen or passionate about playing football.
Well the reason I started to become so interested in playing football might sound really dumb.However each and every person is different and the way the draw inspiration also differs.
I actually got interested in playing football after watching 'Hungry Heart' and 'Captain Tsubasa'.If you are wondering what they are, they are cartoon shows which is show in a popular cartoon channel called 'Animax'.
In both of the shows, the main character is portrayed as an ordinary person who is so much passionate about playing football.They at the beginning do not have that much skill in playing football but the unending passion which they have in their hearts make them play with so much talent that people think it its an inborn talent in them.
I too am a normal person. Well, a little big for my age, not having that much stamina or any sorta skill in football. So its no great thing that I was but a defender when we played for fun at school.
Seeing those 2 shows, for some reason, made me grow really passionate about that gr8 game. It made me think that I too want to be a player, have fun on the field, hit goals and what not! How I want to play in the International Field with the players like Ballack,Ronaldo,Ronaldinho,Robben and so many others.Well If not with them at least against them :) How I wish I could score against great goalies like lehmann and Buffon.
What pains me so much is that my country is not that gr8 in the game. In the world rankings, India is currently at 153. The highest ever FIFA ranking for India was 54 (in February 1996). Only once we have qualified for the World cup and that too it was because of the result of the withdrawal of all their scheduled opponents.After that we have not even come close to qualifying.
Well I do not and will not ever blame my country. I feel its the selectors who are the problem. I am sure in my country, there are thousands of ppl who share the passion I have i.e., to play football for India, they might even have the skills to play. However, I do not think much importance is given to the game in India and hence either not many people are coming forward to play for the country or they are just not scouted properly.I do hope in the coming years, people here start taking more interest in football also and bring up the standards by which v play in order to make India also a great Football playing country.

Well I hope all this does not be only my dream. I do hope my country will one day come to such great heights in Football, so that if not playing for the country I love so much, I at least want to cheer from the stands and see it winning the world cup some day!!!

I hope I have not bored you too much.This is my first entry and I hopefully will start to write more interesting things.However, I need your comments to know how my first entry is so I hope you take some time out write some comments!!!

11 comments:

living legend said...

Hey Ashwin...good job man...im not such a gr8 critique or u knw..im not al tht well versed in blogs..but for the start iits a good job..n if u hav a passion for sumthin try developing it..y do u think ur old for playin football...its just a passion..who knws whr tht'll take u some day!...India nuthin works without money...1 person cant change the scenario..unless u can b shah rukh khan..for chak de india..it'll happen..al the best man!

divya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
divya said...

A really good one..
yeah cricket has been given all the importance leaving out other games like football or polo or even chess for that matter..!!!
its the problem of advertising for the game ..
these other games have not reached to the rural in india i guess.. !!
anyways hope this will not be so in the future...like your wish..!
anyways great job..!
keep posting!

Maithreyi said...

Great post to start with.. Every time I see someone playing football on the road,I've wondered why India has not gone big in football.Its the cricket frenzy that keeps India outta all the other sports.Cricket is sold everywhere... No attention to football.Football has to be marketed.Ashwin,I am sure one day you are going to be an Indian Pele and spread the spirit of football in India..

vergere6 said...

nice one da... quite expressive... seems like content is no problem for you ;) work on the writing though... a blog's a good place to improve your phrases... and yeah, don't be afraid to use punctuation!!

Chandrasekharan said...

Ashwin, wishes for your blog! nice theme :)

continue ur passion... don bother about your age, ur passion may elevate u !

Reg reason for status of football in India, following are my views:

1. Lack of proper training and infrastructure - If you want to excel internationally, these are a MUST !!!

2. Sponsers - they are the backbone of any game... the sponsers should not differentiate between cricket and sports like hockey, football

3. The most vital part is that, talent should be identified and nurtured from a young age... There are thousands of Bhutias in each state, they have to identified and trained...

I love the way in which u ve linked your passion and the state of football in the country... great start for a blog!

keep writin da... all the best

vnayak said...

hey!! that was great man...really from your heart ain't it?!!never u did mention these when we used to walk back to coll from the bus ;) ur first one sounds kinda emotional to me and i liked that! hope to see more and there shuda been more gunners in ur "wanna be against these stars" list ;)

keep blogging great and keep admirin arsenal as u did!! thumbs up....!!

ramya.ravi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ramya.ravi said...

pple have written such gr8 comments da.... dunno wat more to say... all i can say is keep it up n this bloggin cld be of such a gr8 use to improve ur writing skills... ya of course lack of sarcasm n funny one liners is the only drawback... or else it rocks ashwin....... :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ashwin,

well!!!!!! is this my little cousin, who used to ask for Tom and Jerry cartoon, when we were young(guess u remember:))...truly...iam amazed about you... am really proud too....
as u said, there r lot of things, which have to be changed in India
However, you keep working on your goals and you will surely become a gr8 football player...

keep writing ...good show

Anonymous said...

You were a just a back up defender. Hmmm... So you think being a defender is somehow not worthy to a team as a whole. Scoring goals is as important as thwarting attempts by the opponent team. I played a defender in the beaches and the opponent team used to dread me because I fell on the ball or kicked their shins up bloody. Do you think that is funny? Have you seen Ragha play defender? Pesavandutaan! If you have some passion for the one month you are here, come play in the beach. Boys would love to crack some bones.